- Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology
- (608) 265-5269
M.D., Ph.D. Stanford University
Dr. Prabhakaran’s research laboratory focuses on characterizing brain plasticity changes in aging as well as in various patient populations such as Stroke, Epilepsy, Alzheimer's Disease as well as develop novel interventions toward recovery.
Specifically, his lab combines neuroimaging measures such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI), diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), and other advanced neuroimaging as well as behavioral measures to 1) identify prognostic factors that predict functional recovery, 2) identify adaptive and maladaptive networks that contribute to functional recovery, and 3) identify a critical time window for intervention in these patients. My lab, in collaboration with Justin Williams' Lab, is developing Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) technology as a rehabilitation treatment for patients, which will lead to faster and more optimal level of recovery.
- Vergun S, Gaggl W, Nair VA, Suhonen JI, Birn RM, Ahmed AS, Meyerand ME, Reuss J, DeYoe EA, Prabhakaran V. Classification and Extraction of Resting State Networks Using Healthy and Epilepsy fMRI Data. Front Neurosci. 2016 Sep 27;10:440.
- Young BM, Stamm JM, Song J, Remsik AB, Nair VA, Tyler ME, Edwards DF, Caldera K, Sattin JA, Williams JC, Prabhakaran V. Brain-Computer Interface Training after Stroke Affects Patterns of Brain-Behavior Relationships in Corticospinal Motor Fiber. Front Hum Neurosci. 2016 Sep 16;10:457.
- La C, Mossahebi P, Nair VA, Young BM, Stamm J, Birn R, Meyerand ME, Prabhakaran V. Differing Patterns of Altered Slow-5 Oscillations in Healthy Aging and Ischemic Stroke. Front Hum Neurosci. 2016 Apr 13;10:156.
- Song J, Nair VA, Gaggl W, Prabhakaran V. Disrupted Brain Functional Organization in Epilepsy Revealed by Graph Theory Analysis. Brain Connect. 2015 June; 5(5): 276-83.
- Young, BM., Nigogosyan Z, Walton LM, Remsik A, Song J, Nair VA, Tyler ME, Edwards DF, Caldera K, Sattin JA, Williams JC, Prabhakaran V. Dose-response relationships using brain-computer interface technology impact stroke rehabilitation. Frnt Hum Neurosci. 2015 June 23; 9:361.
- Song J, Nair VA, Young BM, Walton LM, Nigogosyan Z, Remsik A, Tyler ME, Farr-Edwards D, Caldera KE, Sattin JA, Williams JC, Prabhakaran V. DTI measures track and predict motor function outcomes in stroke rehabilitation utilizing BCI technology. Front Hum Neurosci. 2015 April 27;9:195.
Nair VA, Young BM, La C, Reiter P, Nadkarni T, Song J, Vergun S, Addepally N, Mylavarapu K, Swartz J, Jensen M, Chacon M, Sattin J, Prabhakaran V. Functional connectivity changes in the language network during stroke recovery. Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology 15 JAN 2015| DOI: 10.1002/acn3.165.
- Song J, Birn RM, Boly M, Meier TB, Nair VA, Meyerand ME, Prabhakaran V. Age-Related Reorganizational Changes in Modularity and Functional
Connectivity of Human Brain Networks. Brain Connect. 2014 Oct 6;PubMed PMID: 25183440.
- Young BM, Williams J, Prabhakaran V. BCI-FES: could a new rehabilitation device hold fresh promise for stroke patients?. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2014
Nov;11(6):537-9. PubMed PMID: 25060658; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4194138.43.
Birn RM, Cornejo MD, Molloy EK, Patriat R, Meier TB, Kirk GR, Nair VA, Meyerand ME, Prabhakaran V. The influence of physiological noise correction on test-retest reliability of resting-state functional connectivity. Brain Connect. 2014 Sep;4(7):511-22. PubMed PMID: 25112809; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4146390.
Meier TB, Nair VA, Meyerand ME, Birn RM, Prabhakaran V. The neural correlates of age effects on verbal-spatial binding in working memory. Behavioural Brain Research 2014 Mar 11. pii: S0166-4328(14)00149-1. doi: 10.1016/j.bbr.2014.03.005.
- Birn RM, Molloy EK, Patriat R, Parker T, Meier TB, Kirk GR, Nair VA, Meyerand ME, Prabhakaran V. 2013. The effect of scan length on the reliability of resting-state fMRI connectivity estimates. Neuroimage.
- Vergun S, Deshpande AS, Meier TB, Song J, Tudorascu DL, Nair VA, Singh V, Biswal BB, Meyerand ME, Birn RM, Prabhakaran V. 2013. Characterizing Functional Connectivity Differences in Aging Adults using Machine Learning on Resting State fMRI Data. Front Comput Neurosci. 7:38.
- Patriat R, Molloy EK, Meier TB, Kirk GR, Nair VA, Meyerand ME, Prabhakaran V, Birn RM. 2013. The effect of resting condition on resting-state fMRI reliability and consistency: a comparison between resting with eyes open, closed, and fixated. Neuroimage. 78:463-73.
- Gallagher TA, Nair VA, Regner MF, Young BM, Radtke A, Pankratz J, Holdsworth RL, Baniulis D, Kornder NK, Voss J, Austin BP, Moritz C, Meyerand ME, Prabhakaran V. 2013. Characterizing the relationship between functional MRI-derived measures and clinical outcomes in patients with vascular lesions. Neurosurg Focus. 34(4):E8.
- Voss J, Meier TB, Freidel R, Kundu B, Nair VA, Holdsworth R, Kuo JS, Prabhakaran V. 2013. The role of secondary motor and language cortices in morbidity and mortality: a retrospective functional MRI study of surgical planning for patients with intracranial tumors. Neurosurg Focus. 34(4):E7.
- Kundu B, Penwarden A, Wood JM, Gallagher TA, Andreoli MJ, Voss J, Meier T, Nair VA, Kuo JS, Field AS, Moritz C, Meyerand ME, Prabhakaran V. 2013. Association of functional magnetic resonance imaging indices with postoperative language outcomes in patients with primary brain tumors. Neurosurg Focus. 34(4):E6.
- Zeng H, Pizarro R, Nair VA, La C, Prabhakaran V. 2013. Alterations in regional homogeneity of resting-state brain activity in mesial temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsia. 54(4):658-66.
- Song J, Desphande AS, Meier TB, Tudorascu DL, Vergun S, Nair VA, Biswal BB, Meyerand ME, Birn RM, Bellec P, Prabhakaran V. 2012. Age-related differences in test-retest reliability in resting-state brain functional connectivity. PLoS One. 7(12):e49847.
- Meier TB, Wildenberg JC, Liu J, Chen J, Calhoun VD, Biswal BB, Meyerand ME, Birn RM, Prabhakaran V. 2012. Parallel ICA identifies sub-components of resting state networks that covary with behavioral indices. Front Hum Neurosci. 6:281.
- Prabhakaran V, Nair VA, Austin BP, La C, Gallagher TA, Wu Y, McLaren DG, Xu G, Turski P, Rowley H. 2012. Current status and future perspectives of magnetic resonance high-field imaging: a summary. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 22(2):373-97.
- Meier TB, Desphande AS, Vergun S, Nair VA, Song J, Biswal BB, Meyerand ME, Birn RM, Prabhakaran V. 2012. Support vector machine classification and characterization of age-related reorganization of functional brain networks. Neuroimage. 60(1):601-13.
- Prabhakaran V, Rypma B, Narayanan NS, Meier TB, Austin BP, Nair VA, Naing L, Thomas LE, Gabrieli JD. 2011. Capacity-speed relationships in prefrontal cortex. PLoS One. 6(11):e27504.
- Austin BP, Nair VA, Meier TB, Xu G, Rowley HA, Carlsson CM, Johnson SC, Prabhakaran V. 2011. Effects of hypoperfusion in Alzheimer's disease. J. Alzheimers Dis. 26 Suppl 3:123-33.
- Meier TB, Naing L, Thomas LE, Nair VA, Hillis AE, Prabhakaran V. 2011. Validating age-related functional imaging changes in verbal working memory with acute stroke. Behav. Neurol. 24(3):187-99.