M. Elizabeth Meyerand
- Professor, Departments of Medical Physics & Biomedical Engineering; Chair, Department of Biomedical Engineering
- (608) 263-1685
Ph.D. Medical College of Wisconsin
Imaging Brain Function and Structure Using MRI
My research lab focuses on the field of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the human brain. The general theme of our work is clinical neuroscience. Our goal is the development and application of new MR methods to visualize the structure and function of the brain and to translate these methods to the hospital for clinical diagnosis. One of the areas upon which we concentrate our research is functional MRI (fMRI). FMRI allows us to noninvasively visualize both the temporal and spatial patterns of brain activity in response to different stimuli.
In addition to analyzing brain activation, we are also developing techniques to explore brain connectivity using diffusion tensor imaging (DTI). As implemented in MRI, DTI is a noninvasive imaging technique that can be used to probe the intrinsic diffusion characteristics of tissue. Brain tissue where diffusion is restricted or anisotropic (white matter) will appear at a different level of brightness in a DTI image than tissue with isotropic diffusion (gray matter). As a result, DTI is extremely useful for providing exquisitely detailed in vivo maps of major white matter fiber pathways. Techniques for diffusion imaging are evolving rapidly. Diffusion MRI research has been shown to have important applications, especially in stroke, the effects of tumors, degenerative diseases and brain injury.
Effective connectivity describes the integration within and between functionally specialized areas of the brain. Regions of the brain are located using fMRI. Integration of these regions is achieved through the information gained from DTI. We explore the effective connectivity in a variety of large-scale neurocognitive networks using different modeling techniques.
We apply all of these methods to a variety of patient populations including: epilepsy, coma, brain tumors, schizophrenia, Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.
- Vergun S, Deshpande AS, Meier TB, Song J, Tudorascu DL, Nair VA, Singh V, Biswal BB, Meyerand ME, Birn RM, Prabhakaran V. 2013. Characterizing Functional Connectivity Differences in Aging Adults using Machine Learning on Resting State fMRI Data. Front Comput Neurosci.: 7:38.
- Gallagher TA, Nair VA, Regner MF, Young BM, Radtke A, Pankratz J, Holdsworth RL, Baniulis D, Kornder NK, Voss J, Austin BP, Moritz C, Meyerand ME, Prabhakaran V. 2013. Characterizing the relationship between functional MRI-derived measures and clinical outcomes in patients with vascular lesions. Neurosurg Focus: 34(4):E8.
- Kundu B, Penwarden A, Wood JM, Gallagher TA, Andreoli MJ, Voss J, Meier T, Nair VA, Kuo JS, Field AS, Moritz C, Meyerand ME, Prabhakaran V. 2013. Association of functional magnetic resonance imaging indices with postoperative language outcomes in patients with primary brain tumors. Neurosurg Focus: 34(4):E6.
- Wildenberg JC, Tyler ME, Danilov YP, Kaczmarek KA, Meyerand ME. 2013. Altered connectivity of the balance processing network after tongue stimulation in balance-impaired individuals. Brain Connect.: 3(1):87-97.
- Hutchinson EB, Sobakin AS, MeyerandME, Eldridge M, Ferrazzano P. 2013. Diffusion tensor MRI of spinal decompression sickness. Undersea Hyperb Med.: 40(1):23-31.
- Guller Y, Ferrarelli F, Shackman AJ, Sarasso S, Peterson MJ, Langheim FJ, Meyerand ME, Tononi G, Postle BR. 2012. Probing thalamic integrity in schizophrenia using concurrent transcranial magnetic stimulation and functional magnetic resonance imaging. Arch Gen Psychiatry: 69(7):662-71.
- Koay CG, Ozarslan E, Johnson KM, Meyerand ME. 2012. Sparse and optimal acquisition design for diffusion MRI and beyond. Med Phys.: 39(5):2499-511.
- Meier TB, Desphande AS, Vergun S, Nair VA, Song J, Biswal BB, Meyerand ME, Birn RM, Prabhakaran V. 2012. Support vector machine classification and characterization of age-related reorganization of functional brain networks. Neuroimage.:60(1): 601-13.
- Meier TB, Wildenberg JC, Liu J, Chen J, Calhoun VD, Biswal BB, Meyerand ME, Birn RM, Prabhakaran V. 2012. Parallel ICA identifies sub-components of resting state networks that covary with behavioral indices. Front Hum Neurosci.: 6:281.
- Song J, Desphande AS, Meier TB, Tudorascu DL, Vergun S, Nair VA, Biswal BB, Meyerand ME, Birn RM, Bellec P, Prabhakaran V. 2012. Age-related differences in test-retest reliability in resting-state brain functional connectivity.PLoS One.: 7(12):e49847.
- Cengiz P, Uluc K, Kendigelen P, Akture E, Hutchinson E, Song C, Zhang L, Lee J, Budoff GE, Meyerand E, Sun D, Ferrazzano P. 2011. Chronic neurological deficits in mice after perinatal hypoxia and ischemia correlate with hemispheric tissue loss and white matter injury detected by MRI. Dev Neurosci.: 33(3-4):270-9.
- Wood JM, Kundu B, Utter A, Gallagher TA, Voss J, Nair VA, Kuo JS, Field AS, Moritz CH, Meyerand ME, Prabhakaran V. 2011. Impact of brain tumor location on morbidity and mortality: a retrospective functional MR imaging study. AJNR Am J Neuroadiol.:32(8):1420-5.
- Koay CG, Hurley SA, Meyerand ME. 2011. Extremely efficient and deterministic approach to generating optimal ordering of diffusion MRI measurements. Med Phys.: 38(8):4795-801.
- Wildenberg JC, Tyler ME, Danilov YP, Kaczmarek KA, Meyerand ME. 2011. High-resolution fMRI detects neuromodulation of individual brainstem nuclei by electrical tongue stimulation in balance-impaired individuals. Neuroimage.: 56(4):2129-37.
- Wildenberg JC, Tyler ME, Danilov YP, Kaczmarek KA, Meyerand ME. 2011. Electrical tongue stimulation normalizes activity within the motion-sensitive brain network in balance-impaired subjects as revealed by group independent component analysis. Brain Connect.: 1(3):255-65.
- Ferrazzano P, Shi Y, Manhas N, Wang Y, Hutchinson B, Chen X, Chanana V, Gerdts J, MeyerandME, Sun D. 2011. Inhibiting the Na+/H+ exchanger reduces reperfusion injury: a small animal MRI study. Front Biosci (Elite Ed):3:81-8.
- Wildenberg JC, Tyler ME, Danilov YP, Kaczmarek KA, Meyerand ME. 2010. Sustained cortical and subcortical neuromodulation induced by electrical tongue stimulation. Brain Imaging Behav.: 4(3-4):199-211.
- McKinsey RD, Moritz CH, Meyerand ME, Tomé WA. 2010. Assessment of multiple task activation and reproducibility in patients with benign and low-grade neoplasm. Technol Cancer Res Treat.: 9(4):319-26.
- Witt ST, Meyerand ME. 2009. The Effects of Computational Method, Data Modeling, and TR on Effective Connectivity Results. Brain Imaging Behav.:3(2):220-231
- Witt ST, Laird AR, Meyerand ME. 2008. Functional neuroimaging correlates of finger-tapping task variations: an ALE meta-analysis. Neuroimage: 42(1):343-56.
- Kelley DJ, Farhoud M, Meyerand ME, Nelson DL, Ramirez LF, Dempsey RJ, Wolf AJ, Alexander AL, Davidson RJ. 2007. Creating physical 3D stereolithograph models of brain and skull. PLoS One: 2(10):e1119.
McMillan KM, Rogers BP, Koay CG, Laird AR, Price RR, Meyerand ME. 2007. An objective method for combining multi-parametric MRI datasets to characterize malignant tumors. Med Phys. 34(3):1053-61.
- McMillan, K.M., A.R. Laird, S.T. Witt, M.E. Meyerand. 2007. Self-paced working memory: validation of verbal variations of the n-back paradigm.Brain Reseach 1139: 133-142.
- McMillan, K.M., B.P. Rogers, C.G. Koay, A.R. Laird, R.R. Price, M.E. Meyerand. 2007. An objective method for combining multi-parametric MRI datasets to characterize malignant tumors. Medical Physics 34: 1053-1061.
- Johnson S.C., T.W. Schmitz, C.H. Moritz, M.E. Meyerand, H.A. Rowley, A.L. Alexander, K.W. Hansen, C.E. Gleason, C.M. Carlsson, M.L. Ries, S. Asthana, K. Chen, E.M. Reiman, G.E. Alexander. 2006. Activation of Brain Regions Vulnerable to Alzheimer;s Disease: The Effect of Mild Cognitive Impairment. Neurobiology of Aging 27:1604-12.
- Moritz, C.H., J.D. Carew, A.B. McMillan, and M.E. Meyerand. 2005. Independent component analysis applied to self-paced functional MR imaging paradigms. NeuroImage 25: 181-192.
- McMillan, A.B., B.P. Hermann, S.C. Johnson, R.R. Hansen, M. Seidenberg, and M.E. Meyerand. 2004. Voxel-based morphometry of unilateral temporal lobe epilepsy reveals abnormalities in cerebral white matter. NeuroImage 23: 167-174.
- Moritz, C.H. and M.E. Meyerand. 2003. Power spectrum ranked independent component analysis of a periodic fMRI complex motor paradigm. Hum. Brain Mapp. 18: 111-122.
- Witwer, B.P., R. Moftakhar, K. Hasan, P. Deshmukh, K. Arfanakis, V. Haughton, H. Rowley, A. Field, J. Noyes, C. Moritz, M.E. Meyerand, A. Alexander, and B. Badie. 2002. Diffusion tensor imaging of white matter tracts in patients with cerebral neoplasms. J. Neurosurg. 97: 568-575.
- Arfanakis, K., B. Hermann, V. Haughton, J.D. Carew, B.P. Rogers, and M.E. Meyerand. 2002. Diffusion tensor MRI in temporal lobe epilepsy. Magnetic Resonance Imaging 20: 511-519.
- Moritz, C., V. Haughton, D. Cordes, M. Quigley, and M.E. Meyerand. 2000. Whole-brain functional MRI activation from a finger tapping task examined with independent component analysis. AJNR. 21: 1628-1635.