Grievances and Appeals

If you feel that you have been treated unfairly by the program, faculty, staff or another student, there are set procedures for trying to resolve the grievance or conflict. In general the policy is to initially try to resolve the conflict at the lowest level but make your way step by step to higher levels as necessary. For example, if you have a grievance with your mentor, try to resolve it by talking to him/her first. If that is not satisfactory, contact the chair of the department or the chair of NTP. The next levels are the Associate Dean of the School of Medicine and Public Health and the Dean of the Graduate School. More information can be obtained at the following website: