Studies of Brain Function in Patients with Cognitive Disorders
Office Phone: (608) 256-1901
Research Strengths: Neurobiology of Disease
I'm a neuropsychologist with research interests in brain function in clinical disorders. Current projects focus on A) the neurobiological and psychological processes that affect memory; B) early detection of Alzheimer's Disease; C) imaging markers of AD progression; D) brain changes in normal aging; E) the effect of intervention on the brain in aging and AD. My lab has funding from The National Institute on Aging, The US Dept of Veterans Affairs, and the State of Wisconsin.
I’m Associate Professor in the Dept of Medicine, Section of Geriatrics and Gerontology and affiliated with the following departments and centers on campus at the University of Wisconsin-Madison:
- Colman, R.J., R.M. Anderson, S.C. Johnson, E.K. Kastman, K.J. Kosmatka, T.M. Beasley, D.B. Allison, C. Cruzen, H.A. Simmons, J.W. Kemnitz, and R.H. Weindruch. 2009. Caloric restriction delays disease onset and mortality in Rhesus monkeys. Science. 325:201-204.
- Hinrichs, C., V. Singh, L. Mukherjee, G. Xu, M.K. Chung, and S.C. Johnson. 2009. Spatially augmented LPBoosting for AD classification with evaluations on the ADNI dataset. NeuroImage.
- Bendlin, B.B., M.E. Fitzgerald, M.L. Ries, G. Xu, E.K. Kastman, B.W. Thiel, H.A. Rowley, M. Lazar, A.L. Alexander, and S.C. Johnson. 2009. White Matter in Aging and Cognition: A Cross-sectional Study of Microstructure in Adults Aged Eighteen to Eighty-Three. Developmental Neuropsychology.
- McLaren, D.G., K.J. Kosmatka, T.R. Oakes, C.D. Kroenke, S.G. Kohama, J.A. Matochik, D.K. Ingram, and S.C. Johnson. 2009. A Population-Average MRI-Based Atlas Collection of the Rhesus Macaque. Neuroimage. 45:52-59.
- Xu, G., D.G. McLaren, M.L. Ries, M.E. Fitzgerald, B.B. Bendlin, H.A. Rowley, M.A. Sager, C.S. Atwood, S. Asthana, and S.C.Johnson. 2009. The influence of Family History of Alzheimer’s Disease and Apolipoprotein E ε4 on the BOLD signal during recognition. Brain. 132:383-391.
- Bendlin, B.B., M.L. Ries, M. Lazar, A.L. Alexander, R.J. Dempsey, H.A. Rowley, J.E. Sherman, and S.C. Johnson. 2008. Longitudinal changes in patients with traumatic brain injury assessed with diffusion tensor and volumetric imaging. Neuroimage. 42:503-514.
- Trivedi, M.A., T.W. Schmitz, M.L. Ries, T.M. Hess, M.E. Fitzgerald, C.S. Atwood, H.A. Rowley, S. Asthan, M.A. Sager, and S.C. Johnson. 2008. fMRI Activation During Episodic Encoding and Metacognitive Appraisal Across the Lifespan: Risk factors for Alzheimer's Disease. Neuropsychologia. 46:1667-1678.
- Johnson, S.C., M.L. Ries, T. Hess, C.M. Carlsson, C.E. Gleason, A.L. Alexander, H.A. Rowley, S. Asthana, and M.A. Sager. 2007. Alzheimer Disease Risk in Healthy Middle-Aged Adults Affects Brain Function During Self Appraisal. Arc. Gen.Psychiatry. 64:1163-1171.
- Schmitz, T.W. and S.C. Johnson. 2007. Relevance to the self: A brief review and framework of neural systems underlying appraisal. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews. 31: 585-596.
- Ries, M.L., B.M. Torgerson, T.W. Schmitz, M.A. Trivedi, C.E. Gleason, C.M. Carlsson, H.A. Rowley, A. Asthana, and S.C. Johnson. 2007. Anosognosia in mild cognitive impairment: Relationship to activation of cortical midline structures involved in self-appraisal. J. Int. Neuropsychol. Soc. 13:450-461.
- Johnson, S.C., T.W. Schmitz, M.A. Trivedi, M.L. Ries, B.M. Torgerson, C.M. Carlsson, S. Asthana, B.P. Hermann, and M.A. Sager. 2006. The Influence of AD Family History and APOE4 on Mesial Temporal Lobe Activation. J. Neurosci. 26:6069-6076.