Animal models of Neurological Disorders for Clinical Translation
Office Strength: (608) 262-9714
Research Strength: Neurobiology of Disease
My lab focuses on understanding the physiopathology of, and developing treatments for neurological disorders, in particular Parkinson's disease. Our translational projects are intensely collaborative and multidisciplinary. We are working toward developing better animal models of neurodegenerative disorders and non invasive, sensitive methods of evaluation. We are studying the effects of stem cells, embryonic or progenitors in the nonhuman primate brain. Ex vivo and in vivo gene transfer approaches are used to deliver therapeutic molecules in the brain such as glial derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) on existing dopaminergic neurons in the brains of parkinsonian animal models. The program also addresses the clinical translation of small molecules targeting antioxidative, anti-inflammatory and antiapoptotic pathways for treatment of neurodegenerative disorders.
- Emborg M. E. Nonhuman primate models of Parkinson's disease. ILAR J. 2007; 48(4): 339-55.
- Emborg, M. E., M. Carbon, J. E. Holden, M. J. During, Y. Ma, C. Tang, J. Moirano, H. Fitzsimons, B. Z. Roitberg, E. Tuccar, A. Roberts, M. G. Kaplitt, and D. Eidelberg. 2007. Subthalamic glutamic acid decarboxylase gene therapy: changes in motor function and cortical metabolism. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 27: 501-9.
- Emborg, M. E., J. Moirano, K. T. Schafernak, M. Moirano, M. Evans, T. Konecny, B. Roitberg, P. Ambarish, E. Mangubat, Y. Ma, D. Eidelberg, J. Holden, J. H. Kordower, and J. E. Leestma. 2006. Basal ganglia lesions after MPTP administration in rhesus monkeys. Neurobiol Dis 23: 281-9.
- Roitberg, B. Z., E. Mangubat, E. Y. Chen, K. Sugaya, K. R. Thulborn, J. H. Kordower, A. Pawar, T. Konecny, and M. E. Emborg. 2006. Survival and early differentiation of human neural stem cells transplanted in a nonhuman primate model of stroke. J Neurosurg 105: 96-102.
- Stephenson, D. T., M. A. Childs, Q. Li, S. Carvajal-Gonzales, A. Opsahl, M. Tengowski, M. D. Meglasson, K. Merchant, and M. E. Emborg. 2007. Differential loss of presynaptic dopaminergic markers in Parkinsonian monkeys. Cell Transplant 16: 229-244.
- Stephenson, D. T., Q. Li, C. Simmons, M. A. Connell, M. D. Meglasson, K. Merchant, and M. E. Emborg. 2005. Expression of GAD65 and GAD67 immunoreactivity in MPTP-treated monkeys with or without L-DOPA administration. Neurobiol. Dis. 20: 347-359.
- Stephenson, D. T., M. D. Meglasson, M. A. Connell, M. A. Childs, E. Hajos-Korcsok, and M. E. Emborg. 2005. The effects of a selective dopamine D2 receptor agonist on behavioral and pathological outcome in 1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine-treated squirrel monkeys. J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 314: 1257-1266.
- Emborg M. E. 2004. Evaluation of animal models of Parkinson's disease for neuroprotective strategies. J Neurosci Methods. 139(2): 121-43.